I have come across a need of mapping multiple domains into single instance of WordPress installation for my blog
myjeeva.mobi. Then I did a search on the net, I found lot of references and plugins for single WordPress instance for multiple blog site within; take a look on top plugins for wordpress multisite but not for my need!
There are multiple ways to achieve mapping multiple domains into single wordpress installation (sharing everything except domain name). I thought to create a blog post around these activities, perhaps it will benefit someone!
Approach Taken & Implemented
Below are the steps I followed for my blog.
- Installed the WordPress into parent domain myjeeva.com
- Configured various plugins for my blog
- Pointed second domain
myjeeva.mobiinto parent domain IP through A record in DNS zone editor
- Edited wp-config.php for two domain names according while accessing i.e. to reflect Site URL and Site Home to respectively
- Go to WordPress installed root directory and look for wp-config.php file
- Place below lines after the table_prefix line; order is very important in wp-config.php , more info
* Handle multi domain into single instance of wordpress installation
define('WP_SITEURL', 'http://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
define('WP_HOME', 'http://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
- Go to wordpress admin page and take a look at Settings -> General. You will have WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL) will be in disabled state. It means your wordpress installation dynamic enoungh to accomadate both domain address