ReplyWithHeader (RWH) is an Apple Mail Bundle (a.k.a. plugin) to enable quoting of the email message header and automatic default signature while reply or forward an email. RWH brings Outlook mail header capabilities [Outlook representation, Oops! did I say Outlook :)] into Apple Mail.app. RWH plugin ported to Thunderbird and Postbox mail client too.
One version works on all OS X versions Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion & Lion
Download ReplyWithHeader v5.3 from
Please Note: External website might take time to reflect new releases.
File Size: 213 kb, change log
Plugin has been completely rewritten from scratch after v3.6 to bring following cool features.
- Completely manages and brings most important feature towards ‘Message Attribution’
- Clean handling of header attribution [From, Subject, Date, To & Cc], rest are suppressed
- Provide special/meaningful email message separate of thin blue color line
Typography feature for message attribution (Headers) in-terms of Font Face, Font Size and Color.
Plugin brings Outlook Header Label options for more readable representation of Message Attribution.
- First Name and Last Name used instead of quoted email address
- Attribution Sequence in-terms of From, Sent, To, Cc and Subject
- Provides optional prefix transformation for Re: -> RE: and Fwd: -> FW:
Provides ability to remove signature and choose alternate signature per email account while doing Reply, Reply All and Forward.
Since v4.2 brings globalization in Header Attribution Labels in 16 languages [Deutsch, English, español, français, italiano, 日本語, 한국어, Nederlands, português (Portugal), português, русский, svenska, українська, 中文（简体中文）, 中文（繁體中文）, norsk bokmål].
Header attribution in choosen language regardless of system locale/language. For e.g. system language is in Japanese & header attribution in English.
Ability to include all the Raw headers from email message is quiet invaluable feature for those of you who have to, or choose to, report spam, phishing, and malware spread through email.
|OS X Version||RWH v5.3|
|Sierra – up-to 10.12.4|
|El Capitan – 10.11.x|
|Yosemite – 10.10.x|
|Mavericks – 10.9.x|
|Mountain Lion – 10.8.x|
|Lion – 10.7.x|
How to Install ReplyWithHeader
For version 4.2 & above
- Double click Install-or-Upgrade-or-Reenable.command in downloaded zip
- Restart Mail.app
For version 4.1 & below
- Double click Install-or-Upgrade.command in downloaded Zip
- Restart Mail.app
Following RWH users contributed and supporting RWH development (of-course that’s me).
|Mar 21, 2015||Frederick Dick, WA, USA||$5.00||PayPal|
|Apr 1, 2015||Would like to know the Name||60.36 mBTC||BTC|
|Apr 10, 2015||Robert Spendlove, VA, USA||$10.00||PayPal|
|May 8, 2015||Frank Jennings, PA, USA||$10.00||PayPal|
|May 14, 2015||Steve Vandivort, WA, USA||$15.00||PayPal|
|Jun 3, 2015||I would like to know your good Name||224.25 mBTC||BTC|
|Jun 15, 2015||Camilo Buitrago-Hernandez, Colombia||$5.00||PayPal|
|Jul 7, 2015||Alastair Brydon, Cambs, UK||$20.00||PayPal|
|Oct 2, 2015||Antoine Stahl, CO, USA||$10.00||PayPal|
|Nov 8, 2015||Henning Caspari, Sohren, Germany||$3.00||PayPal|
|Jan 25, 2016||Nelson Ortega, Barueri SP, Brazil||$20.00||PayPal|
|Mar 4, 2016||Carl Vandray, Hudson Quebec, Canada||$10.00||PayPal|
|Mar 8, 2016||Michele Zambonin, Padova, Italy||$10.00||PayPal|
|Mar 9, 2016||Franco Beretta, Pavia, Italy||$5.00||PayPal|
|Mar 9, 2016||David Lamar, CA, USA||$10.00||PayPal|
|Mar 16, 2016||Dan Hardiman, Rye, UK||$20.00||PayPal|
|Apr 15, 2016||Nathan Schwam, LA, USA||$10.00||PayPal|
|Jul 17, 2016||Anthony Picard, Ryde, Australia||$10.00||PayPal|
|Jul 20, 2016||Henning Caspar, Sohren, Germany||$2.00||PayPal|
|Sep 7, 2016||J M Fitzmaurice, WA, USA||$10.00||PayPal|
|Sep 20, 2016||Guillaume Cabanac, Castanet-Tolosan, France||$5.00||PayPal|
|Sep 24, 2016||Holger Gerhardt, Bonn, Germany||$10.00||PayPal|
|Oct 26, 2016||Mohamed Shahat, Dubai, UAE||$10.00||PayPal|
|Nov 02, 2016||Daniel Jones||$10.00||PayPal|
|Nov 13, 2016||Соколов Михаил, Russia||$10.00||PayPal|
|Nov 23, 2016||Roger Wolf, Switzerland||$10.00||PayPal|
|Dec 27, 2016||C. o’Neill Brown||$5.00||PayPal|
|Jan 07, 2017||Phil Bourke, Australia||$100.00||PayPal|
|Jan 28, 2017||Henning Caspari||$5.00||PayPal|
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
This will happen with every new versions of Mail.app during a OS X updates, that’s something we have to live with when using plugins for Mail.app. Good part is, I have taken care of it – all you have to do is to run the installer of Install-or-Upgrade-or-Reenable.command again, it will re-enable the plugin for you!
I believe this question won’t arise on your mind since latest plugin has cool features for your need; if so let me know the improvement pointers here.
To remove/uninstall it:
- Execute Uninstall.command file from the ReplyWithHeader-vX.X.zip
- OR just delete ReplyWithHeader.mailbundle from ~/Library/Mail/Bundles
- Finally restart Mail.app
That’s it, no other leftover.
Install-or-Upgrade-or-Reenable.command installation file may not be fully help during an install. So kindly perform following steps manually.
- First execute file Install-or-Upgrade-or-Reenable.command
- Execute below command in Terminal.app
- defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles -bool true
- Now, RWH is ready to use!
If nothing here seems to help, follow below step to get support
- Enable debug log using below command in the
Terminal.app and restart the
- defaults write com.apple.mail MHDebugLog -bool true
- Open up Console.app and type Mail on the right corner test box to filter only Mail.app
- Copy all the logs, the line which start with Mail: .............. into some text file using your favorite text editor
- Finally, you can create an issue here attach that log file or send an email to jeeva [at] myjeeva [dot] com with attachment, you’ll get support as soon as possible!